Sheriff’s Office FAQ’s

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions


Q1: How do I get a VIN check?

Call dispatch 765-482-1412 and ask for an officer to come to do a VIN check.

Q2: How do I get an accident report?

Accident reports are available on-line at or by visiting the Boone County Sheriff’s Office Monday thru Friday  8:00am to 4:00pm.

Q3: How do I get a copy of an incident report?

Any Incident Report of calls for service that you need can be requested by visiting NextRequest to fill out a public records request electronically.  Or you may call 765-483-6408.

Q4: How do I get a background check?

Background checks can be completed by visiting the Boone County Sheriff’s Office Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. You will need a photo ID and Social Security Number. Boone County Sheriff’s will give you a county wide background check.

Q5: How do I get fingerprinted?

If you require ink fingerprints or are ordered by the courts to have your prints done. You will need to appear in person at the Boone County Sheriff’s Office and speak with the Jail Division. You will need to have proper Identification and a Court Order if applicable.

Q6: I lost my bond receipt, how do I get a copy?

You may come into the Boone County Sheriff’s Office Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm with proper identification and a replacement receipt will be provided for you.

Q7: How do I get my bond money back?

You must take a copy of your bond receipt to the Boone County Clerk’s office located at the 2nd floor of the Boone County Courthouse.

Q8: How do I retrieve my poperty?

If property was taken into the Boone County Sheriff’s Office custody you must call 765-482-1412 and set up an appointment with one of our Investigators.

Q9: What is a tax warrant?

A tax warrant is a reminder for taxes that are due and is sent by the Boone County Sheriff’s Office at the request of the Indiana Department of Revenue.

Q10: How do I pay my tax warrant?

If you have received a letter from BCSO that states you have a Tax Warrant with us, then you may pay this at (GovPayNet), come into the BCSO Monday-Friday 8am-4pm or you can call 765-483-6408 and someone can assist you.

Q11: How do I file a protective order?

To file a protective order, you must obtain the petition paperwork from the Boone County Clerk's Office.  The Boone County Clerk's Office will file the paperwork with the courts.

Animal Control

Q1: Will my pet be euthanized if it is picked up by the Animal Control Officer?

No. The Animal Control Officer does not euthanize an animal that is simply stray/loose.

Q2: Where are stray/loose animals held?

The majority of the time, the care of the animal is transferred to the Humane Society for Boone County. Occasionally, an in-county boarding facility is used.

Q3: Why is there not a county-ran animal shelter?

Opening an Animal Shelter is tremendously more involved than just having a building to put animals in—there are architectural, utility, veterinarian, staffing, adoption, policy, liability, and funding issues to take into consideration. At this time, the relationship between the Humane Society for Boone County and the various boarding facilities within the county are meeting the needs of the Animal Control Division.

Q4: Is the Animal Control Officer certified in the state of Indiana?

There is not currently an Indiana specific certification for Animal Control Officers.

Q5: What is being done about the overpopulation of cats?

The Animal Control Division works closely with the Humane Society for Boone County to target areas with feral/community cat communities. Research heavily shows that TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) programs are the most humane, efficient way to decrease the cat population. The HSBC follows that research and the Animal Control Division assists when able.

Q6: I found an injured/orphaned/abandoned wildlife animal. What should I do?

Refer to the DNR’s website and/or consult with a wild life rehabilitator. Sometimes the best answer is to let the animal be.

Q7: I found a stray domestic animal. What should I do?

Post a picture of the animal on the Animal Control Facebook page and other relevant groups, take the animal to a vet to have it scanned for a microchip, and/or call and advise Dispatch.

Bike Patrol

Q1: What can bike cops do?

Bicycle officers can use all of their senses to detect illegal activity. Bicycle officers encounter crime as it is happening and can see, hear and even smell clues that lead them to areas where crimes are being committed

Q2: What are the advantages of bicycle patrol?

One of the biggest advantages to bicycle patrol is its ability to navigate around swiftly, avoiding obstacles and hazards that would stop a patrol vehicle in its tracks. At events, bicycle police have the unmatched ability to be in the center of crowds with the means to get to other areas quickly

Q3: Where would we use bikes?

Mountain bikes have proven effective in a number of different environments. They are swift and agile in busy urban areas where traffic snarls and crowds delay motorized units. Bikes are also effective in less urban areas for park patrol, parking lots, school areas, residential patrol, business security, athletic or civic events, and specialized details. They can be operated on streets, sidewalks, alleys, trails, and in any areas that are difficult to access with motor vehicles.

Q4: Why put deputies, EMS and security personnel on mountain bikes?

One of the most versatile tools in law enforcement, emergency medical response, and security today is the mountain bike. Quiet, cost efficient, and amazingly effective, mountain bikes are able to bridge the gap between automobiles and foot patrol. Experience has shown that citizens are more likely to approach a bike patrol officer than even a neighborhood beat officer, optimizing community oriented or problem oriented policing efforts. Bicycle officers are better able to use all of their senses, including smell and hearing, to detect and address crime. Bike patrol officers are often able to approach suspects virtually unnoticed, even in full uniform. Bike-mounted security officers create a highly mobile, visible presence in a wide range of facilities, including shopping malls, casinos, office parks, gated communities, hospital complexes, and amusement parks. The mobility of an EMS provider on a bike can mean the difference between life or death in congested or crowded conditions. EMS on bikes are increasingly deployed in tourist areas, during special events, in amusement parks and sports arenas, on college campuses, and in airports, train stations

Civil Process

Q1: What do I do with a summons that has been left in my door that is not for me or anyone that lives with me?

Call the Civil Process Division at 765 483-6418 .

Q2: Where to do I send payment for civil process by the sheriff?

All payments are processed by the Boone County Clerk’s Office

Q3: What is the current fee for civil process?

Paperwork that is filed in the State of Indiana is $28.00 per cause number, out of state is $62.00 per cause number.

Q4: How many summons copies should be sent to the sheriff for service?

3 copies per individual listed on the summons and the receipt from the Boone County Clerks Office showing a paid Sheriff service fee.

Q5: How do I request notification that the summons has been served?

Include a self-addressed stamped envelope when paperwork is sent to our office for service.

Q6: How do I eFile

You can eFile by clicking on the link below.


Indiana Court eFiling


Q1: Why did they send the police even when I called back and told them everything was okay?

These are examples of some of the reports that the police respond to that will not be cancelled by telephone:


·         Domestic violence

·         Child or adult abuse

·         Robbery calls

·         Certain types of alarms

·         Molestation or rape

·         911 hang-ups


These calls are rarely cancelled even if you call back to tell us everything is fine.  The reasoning behind this action is because a victim can sometimes be easily coerced into sounding convincing while telling the Dispatcher that everything is okay.  Some situations require the physical presence of the police to verify that everyone is safe and that peace has been restored.

Q2: What type of activity should I report?

Any type of criminal or suspicious activity should be reported.  When calling 765-482-1412 for non-emergency situations or 9-1-1 for emergencies, please be specific.  We need to know what activity you have observed and what causes you to believe the situation is criminal or suspicious.  Please try to provide as much information as possible, such as vehicle descriptions, clothing and physical descriptions of suspicious persons, and good location information where the activity is occurring.


Examples of suspicious activity can include, but are not limited to:


·         Someone looking over fences

·         Someone trying to break into a residence or vehicle

·         Drug activity

·         Shots heard

·         Suspicious vehicles that are unfamiliar to the area


Often times it is difficult to determine what types of suspicious activity or people should be reported to the police.  When in doubt, call 9-1-1.

Q3: Why does it sometimes take so long for an officer to respond to my call?

Calls are triaged based on the type of activity or urgency.  Incidents posing an immediate threat to life, where the threat is present and ongoing and/or an incident posing an immediate threat to life that involves the actual use or threatened use of a weapon, will get a high-level priority response.  This also includes crimes against persons or significant property crimes where a rapid response is needed and the incident is in progress, just occurred with the possibility of apprehending a suspect, or the incident is about to escalate to a more serious situation.

What does this mean?  Matters that do not involve immediate threat to life or do not have the potential to escalate to a serious incident may experience an extended wait, depending upon the call load and number of current emergencies.  Non-emergency events that are not necessarily time critical, but do require response from a police officer, may have to wait for an extended period of time.

Q4: Why won't the Dispatcher give me any information about an on-going situation?

Often, situations are still in progress when citizens call to find out what is happening in their neighborhoods.  Dispatchers are rarely apprised of specific details.  Furthermore, the situation you are inquiring about may be sensitive in nature and details cannot be made available to you.

Q5: What is the non-emergency telephone number for the Communications Center?

765-482-1412, Option 4

Q6: What is SMART911©?

Smart911 allows citizens to provide the additional details that 9-1-1 call takers may need to assist them during an emergency.  When you dial 9-1-1 today, the information received by the 9-1-1 call center can be limited, based on the type of phone from which you are calling.  With Smart911, anytime you make an emergency call from a phone registered with your Safety Profile, the 9-1-1 system recognizes your phone number and automatically displays your profile on the screen of the call taker who receives your call.


At a time when you may be panicked, or unable to communicate, or it could be unsafe to communicate, Smart911 ensures that the details you would need to tell 9-1-1 are immediately available in the event you cannot verbally provide them.  Smart911 is free, private, and secure

To create a free Smart911 safety profile simply go to

Q7: Why should I use Smart911?

Smart911 can help protect you, your loved ones, and other members of your household.  By creating a Safety Profile with Smart911 during a calm moment, you can take the time to ensure that the information is correct and accurate and exactly what you would like to be communicated to emergency response teams in an emergency.  Smart911 is free to all citizens.  It also allows you to receive important email/text alerts regarding weather, school, community, and road closures.

To create a free Smart911 safety profile simply go to

Q8: Can I send a text to 9-1-1?

Yes.  All 92 counties in Indiana can receive/respond to texts in their 9-1-1 Centers.

Q9: How do I text to 9-1-1?

Find the message or messaging icon or menu choice on your phone.  Do not use a text app you downloaded.  Select 'create a new text message'.  Put 911 in the “To:” field.  Put your emergency and your location in the message body.  Do not attach or send pictures or videos.  Keep your message short and do not use abbreviations.  After you enter your text, press send.

The 9-1-1 center will reply within 20 seconds to one minute.

Continue your dialog with the 9-1-1 center, and follow their instructions.

Q10: When do I text to 9-1-1?

Make a voice call when you can.  Text if you can't make a voice call, or if a voice call would put you in danger.  Text-to-911 is not as fast as making a voice call.  Your location is extremely important information to provide.  The 9-1-1 center may ask you to make a voice call if you don't know your location

Q11: What else do I need to know about texting?

Your phone must be able to send a text message. You can find out by texting a friend or family member to be certain.

Text-to-911 is not a priority service.  It can be delayed.  You can't send more than 160 characters.


Q1: When is the jail open?

While under construction, the Boone County Jail remains open 24/7 for inmate purposes.  All Administrative needs can be completed at the temporary offices located at the Boone County Fairgrounds from 8:00am – 4:00pm Monday through Friday excluding Holidays.  Any other inmate needs can be addressed at the 187B Door located on the eastside of the current building.

Q2: How do I bond someone out of the Boone County Jail?

Depending on the status of the inmate within the court system, they may be eligible to bond out of jail.  Bonds can be paid 24 hours a day.  Bonds can either be paid in the form of a credit/debit card or a surety bond. A surety bond requires a licensed bond agent to process and a fee paid to the bondsman. A cash bond may be paid with a money order made out to the Boone County Sheriff’s Office, or with a credit or debit card.

Bond payment with Cashier's Check must be done during normal business hours: Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Persons wishing to pay a bond with a credit card must call Allpaid  at 1-888-561-7888 or 1-888-604-7888 or visit their website at*   A person posting bond via credit card must provide the inmate’s full name, date of birth,  their Boone County Jail inmate number, their charge(s), the bond amount and the jail’s “Pay Location Code” which is 6808.  This information can be obtained by calling the jail at 765-482-1412 option 1.  Allpaid charges a 9% non-refundable processing fee.  Boone County receives no part of the processing fee.  A cash bond agreement will be completed on all bonds.

When a bond is paid a receipt will be provided to the payer that will list the inmate’s upcoming court date(s) if available.

Per order of Circuit Court Judge Schein, Superior 1 Court Judge Kincaid and Superior II Court Judge Petit: Pursuant to I.C. 35-33-8-3.2, cash bonds posted for the release of a Defendant, upon disposition of the case in which bond is posted, may be applied to any fines, costs, fees, restitution, repayment of public defender fees of the Defendant and/or for any other purpose permitted by law.

Important information to all persons posting bond for arrestees:  If you are posting a CASH BOND for the release of an arrestee, then if the arrested person appears at all hearings and/or trial, the money posted will be returned if the person arrested is found not guilty or the charges are dismissed.  It the person arrested is found guilty or pleads guilty, then the monies posted will be applied toward any fines and/or costs.  If there are any monies left over, then only these sums will be returned to the person who paid the bond as shown on the cash bond agreement.

Please understand that if you are posting a SURETY BOND (through a bail bondsman) then there will be no return of the monies posted.  This money posted is like an insurance premium and is not returnable.  Sometimes it is better to allow the arrestee to remain in jail another day or so and use the money to obtain an attorney to attempt to obtain a bond reduction.  It is difficult for a Judge to understand how someone can come up with $500 to $1,000 for a surety bond and then come to court and ask for a public defender because of no funds to hire an attorney

Please note:  Any inmate arrested on alcohol or drug influence related charges will not be released until it has been determined that the individual is no longer intoxicated.

Q3: What if I need to get property from an inmate?

Property of inmate currently incarcerated can be picked up at the jail if the inmate signs a property release form authorizing the release.  All property with the exception of inmates clothing will be released (no exceptions).

Inmates transferred to DOC are given a property release form and they designate who is authorized to pick up their property.  DOC inmates property will only be held for 30 days after their release from our facility. Property can be picked up at any time by calling the Boone County Jail at 765-482-1412 option 1 and scheduling an appointment.  Proper I.D. will be required before property is released.

Q4: How does the telephone system work?

The Inmate Telephone System is not owned or operated by Boone County.  ICSolutions, an outside vendor, is contracted to provide inmate telephone services.  ALL telephone calls are subject to monitoring and recording. for more ICSolutions company information

Inmate Account – Inmates who have money on their account can place a direct call and the cost of the call will be taken off the inmates account.    Inmates also have the ability to place a collect call providing the recipient accepts the charges.

Money Orders payable to an inmate and US Currency may be mailed to the Boone County Sheriff's Office 1905 Indianapolis Ave. Lebanon, IN 46052.

Other Options for Account Deposits:

  • Boone County Sheriff's Office KIOSK Machine Located at the Boone County Courthouse.  201 Courthouse square, Lebanon IN 46052.
  • Toll Free Phone Deposits: (866) 345-1884
  • Internet Deposits:
Q5: How do I visit an inmate?

An inmate has to be incarcerated 72 hours before they will be allowed visitation.  All visits are by video, there are no more face to face visits.  Due to construction each inmate will receive three free "home" visits.  Any additional will be for a fee of $12.50 for a 25 minute visit.  An account through IC Solutions will need to be made by the visitor.  This can be done on any computer or smartphone.  Once an account is made you will schedule all visits through their website.  All visits are 25 minutes.  Visitation hours are 7 days a week 8am-10pm.

Q6: How can a lawyer see an inmate at jail?

Lawyers are allowed to visit with inmates at any time with the exception of 6:00 a.m - 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.   Lawyers have the ability to visit with inmates via the video kiosk.  These visits are NOT recorded.

Q7: Can an inmate get a visit from his/her minister?

Members of the clergy who are on an authorized list compiled by the Sheriff’s Office Senior Chaplain Joni Scott may be allowed to visit inmates at any time with the exception of 6:00 a.m - 8:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.   Minister/Preachers or any educators are not allowed to visit with inmates if they are related.

Ministers are welcome to schedule a video visit.

Q8: How do I put money on an inmate's account?

Money being placed on an inmates account can be used by the inmate for both phone calls and ordering commissary.  Money orders payable to an inmate may be placed on the inmate’s account.  PERSONAL CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

Money orders should be mailed to Boone County Jail 1905 Indianapolis Avenue, Lebanon, IN  46052.

Other Options for Account Deposits:

Boone County Sheriff's Office KIOSK Machine - at the Boone County Courthouse.  201 Courthouse Square, Lebanon, IN 46052.  Cash or Credit Card Deposits

Toll Free Phone Deposits: (866)345-1884

Internet Deposits:

Q9: How does an inmate get money from his/her account after being released from jail?

Inmates at the time of their release will be given a debit card with his/her remaining funds.   If you did not receive a debit card upon release you may contact the Boone County Jail between 10am and 4pm at 765-482-1412 option 1, on the days that the Boone County Sheriff's Office is open and have a debit card issued to you.

Q10: Can I send letters and books to an inmate?

Inmates can receive mail delivered by the US Postal Service – it may not be dropped off at the jail.  All incoming mail must have a return name and full return address.  Mail that does not have a return address will be placed in the inmate’s property (with the exception of legal mail).   All incoming mail will be opened and inspected by Jail Officers to prevent the introduction of contraband.  PERSONS WHO SEND CONTRABAND INTO THE FACILITY WILL BE CRIMINALLY PROSECUTED AND THE INMATE TO WHOM IT IS BEING SENT MAY ALSO FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES.  Legal mail sent directly from an attorney will be opened in the presence of the inmate. Inmates may have a newspaper mailed from the publisher at the inmate’s expense.  Soft cover books will be accepted from the publisher ONLY. Magazines and periodicals will not be accepted. Any materials that contain obscene pictures, racist or “hate” content will not be given to the inmate, but will be placed in his/her property tub. The Boone County Jail in cooperation with Lebanon Public Library provides inmates with soft cover books.

Q11: How are inmate medical needs addressed?

Upon arrival at the Boone County Jail inmates are asked a series of medical questions and are screened by our medical staff soon thereafter.  Inmates are responsible for reporting existing illnesses or other medical conditions to jail staff during their in-processing.   While incarcerated at the Boone County Jail the jail’s medical director is an inmate’s primary care giver.  Medical issues are addressed by the inmate completing a medical request form. Sick calls are provided on a regular basis.  There is a medical co-pay charge of $10.00.  If necessary, our medical staff will schedule an appointment with specialists.   Medication will be distributed in accordance with prescription orders approved by the jail’s medical staff.  Certain over-the-counter medication, such as pain relievers, cough drops, vitamins and antacids, may be purchased by inmates on commissary.  Inmates will not be denied access to medical services due to an inability to pay. If the inmate does not have enough money to cover the co-payment, the services will be “charged” until sufficient funds are in their account to pay the $10.00 co-pay.   Information regarding an inmate’s medical status will be released only through proper medical channels.  Only the medical staff may release inmate medical information to an inmate’s family. Medication must be in the container from the pharmacy with an appropriate label.

Q12: Can I bring medication in for the inmate?

Friends or family members may call and make an appointment with the Jail Medical Staff at 765-483-3376 to bring an inmate’s prescribed medication to the jail.  It must be in the original prescription bottle.  The medication will be given to the inmate with approval by the jail medical staff.  Any medication not given to the inmate will be returned to him/her upon their release from the jail.

Q13: How do I get medication left at the jail?

Once released from the Boone County Jail an inmate may contact the medical staff at 765-483-3376 to have their medication released to them.  Medical staff may make the medication available to be picked up at the jail.  Medication can be picked up 24hrs a day.

Q14: Do the inmates eat well?

The Boone County Jail provides three balanced meals daily.  Meals are approved by a dietician and meet nutritional standards.  Inmates are allowed to buy additional food items off commissary.

Q15: Can I bring some clothes to the jail for an inmate?

The jail will not accept clothing for inmates.  Inmates are issued clothing and shoes and can purchase underwear, t-shirts and socks from commissary.  In the event that the inmate has a Jury Trial arrangements will be made with the attorney to get proper attire for the inmate to wear in court.

Q16: How do I notify an inmate of a death in his/her family?

If there has been a death in the inmate’s immediate family you may call the jail and ask that the inmate be informed.  Upon verification, a Sheriff’s Office chaplain or other approved member of clergy may aid in a death notification.

Q17: Can jail staff relay messages or pass notes to inmates?

Notes are not passed to inmates. If jail staff determine that a message is of an emergency nature – such as a death in an inmate’s family – that information may be shared with an inmate.

Q18: I have a family member at another jail who was arrested on charges from a Boone County case. When will they be brought to the Boone County Jail?

It is the policy of the Boone County Jail to not to disclose when an inmate is to be transported to or from our facility. This is for the safety of our transportation staff.  An inmate with “out of county” charges generally must be transported within 30 days of their arrest. Transportation Division will pick up an inmate as soon as schedule permits.

Q19: Can an inmate vote?

Arrangements upon request from the inmate will be made with election officials to facilitate and inmate’s right to vote by absentee ballot, provided the inmate is a qualified voter.

Q20: I have a weekend commitment, what can I bring?

You may not bring any items into the jail.  You will be issued orange clothing, sandals, towel, hygiene items, a mat and blanket.  Books are available to you.

**If you have prescribed medication you must call medical (765-483-3376) and set up an appointment with the nurse and bring the medication into the jail prior to your commitment.

Q21: Do I have a warrant?

We do not give out warrant information over the telephone.  You may come to the jail with proper identification and a check for any outstanding warrants will be made.

Q22: Can I send an inmate at Boone County Jail an email?

Access Corrections provides the public the ability to send Secure Mail to inmates incarcerated at our facility.  To set up an account you have two options. Click on: or dial (866) 345-1884

Q23: How do I find out my court date?

Log into   You can access information using name or case number.

Q24: I was assigned a pauper counsel? How do I find out his/her name?

Log into   You can access information using name or case number.

Courthouse Security

Q1: What are the courthouse hours?

Excluding approved holidays, county buildings are open Monday thru Friday 8:00 to 4:00.

Q2: How long has security screening been in place at the courthouse?

The courthouse has been restricted to one entrance with security screening since June 1, 2017.  Entrance is made at the south side (Main Street) where there is an x-ray machine and metal detector.  Purses, backpacks, briefcases, etc. are screened with the x-ray machine and visitors walk through the metal detector.  The entry process takes just a few seconds.

Q3: What items are prohibited from the courthouse?

Boone County Ordinance 2017-03 states, “No person shall be permitted to enter the Courthouse carrying or possessing a firearm, knife, weapon or explosive device.”

Q4: Will a deputy hold my knife while I’m in the courthouse?

No. Deputies cannot be responsible for another person’s property. Prohibited items must be removed from the building before access can be granted.

Q5: Why is the security screening necessary?

People come to the courthouse for criminal hearings and sentencings, to pay taxes, appeal property assessments, divorce and child custody hearings, child support hearings, small claims disputes, and more.  For some people, these can be emotionally charged events, so not allowing weapons in the courthouse is a necessity.


Q1: How do I obtain a Crash report?

Crash reports are available on-line at or by visiting the Boone County Sheriff's office Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  If you call ahead, 765-483-6408, we will be able to locate the report you need and have it ready for you upon your arrival.

Q2: How do I get a Protective Order?

To file a protective order, you must obtain the petition paperwork from the Boone County Clerk’s Office. The Boone County Clerk’s Office will file the paperwork with the courts.

Q3: How do I request Extra Patrols?

If you are leaving your home on vacation or an extended period of time and would like extra patrol while you are gone. Contact the Boone County Communications Division (765) 482-1412 to be placed on the extra patrol list. Please provide the dates that you will be gone and any emergency contact information.

Q4: How do I contact a specific merit deputy?

Through our website using the deputy’s email or by contacting the Boone County Communications Division (765) 482-1412 to have access to the department voicemail system.


Q1: What are the roles of the Investigator when assigned a case?

Once an investigator receives the case through our record management system, they will contact the complainant or victim involved in the case.  The investigator will then initiate an investigation into the case and review all available evidence.  At the conclusion of their investigation, they will file charges if applicable.

Q2: What are the roles of the Investigator when assigned a case?

Once an investigator receives the case through our record management system, they will contact the complainant or victim involved in the case.  The investigator will then initiate an investigation into the case and review all available evidence.  At the conclusion of their investigation, they will file charges if applicable.

Q3: Is the victim contacted when assigned a case?

The investigators will contact all persons associated with a case in order to completely and thoroughly determine if a criminal act occurred.  The victim will be contacted if not a juvenile, but rather a parent will be contacted on their behalf.

Q4: What are some types of assigned cases in Investigations?

Our investigators specialize in investigations into a variety of crimes and/or conduct undercover operations, which may include: homicide, robbery, burglary, auto theft, organized crimes, missing persons, juvenile crime, fraud, narcotics, vice, criminal intelligence, aggravated assault/battery, sexual assault, computer crime, domestic violence, surveillance, and arson, among others.

Q5: Any special training needed to be a Detective?

Our investigators receive special training in interview, interrogation, computer, and technology software.  In addition, investigators attend many conferences and seminars throughout the year.  Investigators also rely on a network of informants they have cultivated over the years to further their street smarts.

Q6: How many Detectives are in Investigations?

Currently in Investigations there are three full time Detectives and two part time Detectives from the Boone County Reserve Division.  Also under the division leadership are three full-time Crime Scene Investigators.


Q1: What does K9 training include?

Police K9 training is very different from traditional dog obedience training in that these dogs take on an important and specific responsibility, such as drug detection, general patrol or bomb detection. But the responsibility isn't solely on the dogs alone — their handlers play a big role in their success as well.

Q2: What does K9 training include?

Police K9 training is very different from traditional dog obedience training in that these dogs take on an important and specific responsibility, such as drug detection, general patrol or bomb detection. But the responsibility isn't solely on the dogs alone — their handlers play a big role in their success as well.

Q3: Do K-9 dogs go home with officer?

In most cases, K9 officers care for their police dog partners at all times, which means taking the dog home, caring for them, and keeping them in shape.

Q4: Can police dogs be family pets?

Absolutely! Police dogs live with their police officer partners/handlers, usually in a family setting, and at home are loving, trustworthy family members - just like other family dogs when they're off duty. Police dogs ARE family dogs.

Q5: Can you touch a police dog?

Don't touch K9s or service dogs. They are on duty and not to be distracted or made familiar with people in the community. Doing so could be a danger to the disabled person, and maybe the police officer.

Q6: How long can a police dog work?

In general, police dogs are retired after about seven or eight years. The breeds that tend to work as police dogs live about 11 to 14 years on average, depending on the breed, so once they retire, sadly, they may only have a few years left.

School Resource Officers

Q1: What is a School Resource Officer (S.R.O.)?

A school resource officer is a career law enforcement officer with sworn authority who is deployed by an employing police department or agency in a community-oriented policing assignment to work in collaboration with one or more schools. NASRO recommends that agencies select officers carefully for SRO assignments and that officers received at least 40 hours of specialized training in school policing before being assigned.


Q2: What are appropriate roles of school resource officers?

The goals of SRO programs include providing safe learning environments in our county schools, providing valuable resources to school staff members, fostering positive relationships with youth, developing strategies to resolve problems affecting youth and protecting all students, so that they can reach their fullest potentials. NASRO considers it a best practice to use a “triad concept” to define the three main roles of school resource officers: educator (i.e. guest lecturer), informal counselor/mentor, and law enforcement officer.

Q3: Can I report information to the School Resource Officer?

The S.R.O. is available during school hours and can be reached after hours/weekends by contacting the Boone County Communication (765-482-1412) or if an emergency dial 911.  If emergency exists immediate police response will be dispatched.  The responding officers on scene can contact the School Resource Officer if the need exists.

Q4: If I have a concern about a School Resource Officer, who should I contact?

The Boone County Sheriff’s Office SRO program is overseen by Sergeant Neil Randolph.  You may also contact the Boone County Sheriff’s Office main line to report your concerns.

Q5: Do SROs have the authority to detain and interview students?

Yes, for criminal investigations only.  Unless exigent circumstances exist (.e.g. crime of active violence in progress which threatens lives in the school), the SRO shall take immediate steps to contact parent(s) or guardian(s) before any questioning of a student about possible involvement in criminal activity. The SRO shall fully inform both the student and legal guardian of the entitlement of Miranda warnings before any questioning takes place. SRO’s shall seek the consent authorization (approval or denial) of the legal guardian before conducting any interview of the student.

Our Office Hours

Mon-Fri  8am-4pm


1905 Indianapolis Ave

Lebanon, IN 46052


Anthony Harris


Phone: 765-483-3363

Fax: 765-483-3370

Looking for Someone?

Visit our staff directory for additional contact information.

Administration Staff

Meetings & Events

Visit our calendar and read previous
meeting minutes.

Boone County Government. All Rights Reserved.